Sunday, March 20, 2011

2 YEAR check up

Have I mentioned lately that I can't believe I have a TWO YEAR OLD?!???
On Wednesday, daddy met us at Dr. K's office for Colby's 2 year well-child check. For some reason Colby HATES getting his weight, height and head circumference measured. He is never very cooperative...so I'm never sure how accurate their measurements actually are. This time, though, I KNEW the weight that they got was NOT correct. 20.5 pounds!! haha....I think at his one year check-up he was 22 pounds...soooo....needless to say, Dr. K was a little concerned when he came in to talk to us. (his exact words were "did you guys make this kid run a marathon?") He called for another weight check, so this time Travis got on the scale first, then got on with Colby and they subtracted his weight from that. The final verdict was......drumroll please......
WEIGHT- 26lbs 4oz
HEIGHT- 34.4 in
HEAD CIRCUMFERENCE- don't remember because I was so concerned about the weight
Both his weight and height were between the 25th and 50th percentile. I think that's pretty much where he's been for the past year. Here are a few of the other highlights from the appointment:
TEETH-
He recommended that we switch to some toddler toothpaste with floride. ( I didn't realize the infant toothpaste didn't have any) He also said that 6-12 months from now we should probably take him to the dentist for his first check-up. (unless there's a problem before then)
MILK-
He said to try to stick to whole milk...especially since he's not overweight, but he also said that if we drink 2% as a family, it's not a big deal to just get that for him too.
MY QUESTIONS-
1. What about paci/lovey?
2. crib?
3. potty training?
HIS ANSWERS-
1. Get rid of paci (YIKES!) but he can definitely keep a comfort item like his lovey
(our plan for now is to try to keep paci in CRIB only.....then eventually take it away....crib only is a big step for us for now and he's been a trooper!!)
2. It looks like you have a little monkey on your hands, so you may want to start thinking about switching to a toddler bed (YIKES again!!)
(I've actually witnessed Colby come very close to crawling over the rail, but it was because he was MAD and in time out.....but in the morning or after naps, he's really never trying to get out...he just lays there and talks to himself, so I'm not in a hurry for this....maybe by the end of the summer we'll tackle this beast)
3. Don't even worry about potty training right now (THANK GOODNESS!!!!) Boys will start potty training a little later than girls....probably closer to 3 years old (YESSSS!!)
I was so thankful that I didn't have to tackle ALL THREE of these things right away....we'll work on one thing at a time for our little munchkin. The BEST news was NO SHOTS!!!! WHOO HOO!!! We are so thankful to have such an awesome pediatrician, but hopefully we won't have to see him again for 6 more months!! :)

1 comment:

Rachel said...

LOVE Dr. Kastner!!! :o)