Friday, November 6, 2009

A 1st for me!

As most of you know, I am a bit of a picky eater...ok...it's really bad!!! You could maybe even say OUT OF CONTROL....but I think you will be proud of me after you hear this story.
Last week in my class, we did all kinds of activities with pumpkins including roasting pumpkin seeds! I have never done this before...and to be honest, the smell of pumpkin guts makes me want to puke, but I wanted to do it for the kids! I know that so many people enjoy doing this every year after carving pumpkins, and I wanted my students to be able to experience this as well, soooooooooo....I sucked it up, coated them in butter and Lawry's seasoning salt, and roasted them up. I will admit that after they had been sizzling for about 5 minutes or so, they actually started to smell really good! I passed out the seeds and the kids LOVED them! One even said "they taste like french fries!" I decided that I could at least just tryyyyy one...I could spit it out if I didn't like it...turns out that they were soooooo yummy!!!! I loved them, and now hope to make that a tradition that Colby will look forward to every year. Thank you 2nd graders for talking me into trying something new!!!


oh...and here's the picture that uploaded when I thought I was uploading the punkin' seeds the first time...what is wrong with my computer?? :) I love these two boys!!

2 comments:

Haley and Austin said...

haha speaking of picky eater... last night at the ranch when we were eating, they were making fun of me beacuse I dont like my food to touch and they were making such a big deal about it... and I just had to say "Why is everyone making a big deal, Mary Beth is the same way!!!!" haha we are pretty much twinkies!

The Armstrong Family said...

I am SO proud. Way to go! That is a great tradition. Mary Helen & I always loved when Mom did that for us. You're branching out :)