So, after 8 ear-infection-free months with tubes, it looks like we may be jumping back on the "pay Scott and White $30 every time we have a problem" bandwagon.
A few weeks ago, Colby's ear started oozing!! Gross...I know. I knew that this was a good thing, because that meant the tubes were working, but at the same time, I was concerned, because that meant there was fluid in the ear (even if it was draining). I was also concerned because only one ear was draining, and every time that C has had an ear infection, it's been a double.
We made an appointment with our favorite pediatrician, and I'm so glad we did! Colby had a double ear infection, and although one side was draining, the other side was not draining due to the fact that the tube was "kinked" and not working properly. Dr. K. recommended oral antibiotics as well as ear drops to get the infection cleared up and then we'd come back in a few weeks to see what was going on.
Mom took him in for his follow up today, and the good news was that both ears were CLEAR! Praise the Lord! (they've never cleared up after just one round of antibiotics) The bad news was that the right ear tube is completely out of place and will not work properly the next time Colby gets too much fluid in his ears. :( Dr. K. said that we should just wait and see what happens this fall/winter. If C starts getting more and more infections, we'll have to go back in to get the tube fixed, but if we can stay clear of infections, we'll just leave it the way it is.
My fingers are crossed, but I know that a small procedure to get that tube fixed may be necessary. We'll just have to wait and see! :)
My fingers are crossed, but I know that a small procedure to get that tube fixed may be necessary. We'll just have to wait and see! :)
(ps...Colby has actually LOST a few ounces since his 2 year check up...I don't get it...)

No comments:
Post a Comment