Wednesday, March 17, 2010

ROADTRIP! (day 2)

After a fabulous night's sleep and sleeping in, we were off to Rathskellar for breakfast. It was so good! It's a little bistro down in a basement in the middle of mainstreet. Our B&B gave us a gift certificate for breakfast instead of actually serving us breakfast. We could choose between several local restaurants, and I think we chose the right one!
We walked up and down mainstreet and went through several shops, but thankfully we weren't really in a money spending mood. Travis decided that he really wanted to head towards home and stop at some fun places along the way. I don't think I REALLY knew what I was agreeing to...
First we stopped at the Johnson State Park to check out the living history farm. Travis was really excited to see the loose livestock and "customed interpretors" (he misread the costumed interpretor sign, so he called them customed interpretors the whole time!!) I honestly felt like Travis was my 5 year old son....it was hillarious to see him so excited about this farm!!! I loved it! Colby will fit right in with him soon...
Look at these fat stinky piglets trying to eat!! That poor mommy pig...
we finally got this photo after standing in line behind a group of children :)

A real live "customed" interpretor!
I was really excited to take a picture with a peach tree! I wish I would have gotten a shot of one of the orchards in Fredericksburg. They are all in full PINK bloom!!! GORGEOUS!
Next stop- Longhorn Natural Cavern. I can't even begin to tell you how excited Travis was about going into the cave...you would have thought we were going to see the Super Bowl or something! I must admit, I love that there is never a dull moment with this man, but I do wish I would have taken some tennis shoes for our 1 mile nature hike and then 2 mile hike in the muddy cave...I'll be more prepared next time.
Watch out for the squatting monkey!!!
On a nature hike...holding some real live nature...check out my non-nature-hiking shoes
The castle that you can see from the observation tower
on top of the tower- it was beautiful!
King of the hill country
going back down the STEEP winding stairs
my favorite picture from the trip
SO excited that the tour is about to begin! (we had to wait 1 and 1/2 hours for our tour)
Tour Guide Mike...back to work after knee replacement...he LOVES this cave
:)
bat hibernating in the cave!!

the largest stalactite in the cave....don't forget! Stalactites hang tight to the ceiling
Hall of Gems


Thank you Travis for the perfect getaway- I LOVE YOU!!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

We LOVE the Living History Farm!!! Landyn has been every year of her life so far!!! Can'y wait to take Brooks this year!!! Your trip sounds like so much fun!!