Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Colby's latest Medical News...

The first night at the river, I noticed that Colby had what looked like a pretty bad diaper rash. I felt terrible, because I didn't have any kind of diaper rash cream with me!! I know that sounds like a rookie mistake, but Colby really rarely needs it, so it just wasn't on the top of my "to pack" list, I guess. Luckily, we were staying next door to the newborn twins, and my cousin had some "Dr. Smith's" stuff that she let us borrow. It is supposed to be the greatest thing ever, so you definitely need to go get some! (HEB had $2 off coupons last week)


Long story short, Colby basically had a yeast infection (which I think is pretty much the same thing as jock itch or athelete's foot). He had been on antibiotics for 10 days before we went to the river, and apparently it's very common for this to happen, because the antibiotics get rid of the good bacteria that keeps yeast from growing. Who knew that boys could get this?!? I know it's kind of gross, but if you have babies, you need to know! I should have been giving Colby lots of yogurt while he was on the antibiotics, but I just totally forgot. Luckily, we caught the infection that first night, and my grandpa randomly had some cream that worked immediately for Colby's poor little bottom. (I saw pictures online that were WAY worse than Colby's, so I think it's key to catch it before it gets out of control.)


The GOOD NEWS is that in between our river and beach trips, I took Colby to the doctor to get his ears checked, and they were crystal clear!!! YAY!!!! He was clear for his first airplane ride, so we were ready to go!!

1 comment:

The Armstrong Family said...

Yikes! I didn't know that either. Glad you had a prepared family and that it went away so quickly. Yay for a healthy Colby...and we hope it stays that way for a long time!