Sunday, June 27, 2010

Quick Stats Update

Last week was Colby's 15 month check up.
weight- 22lbs 14oz - 25th percentile
height- can't remember and didn't write it down- 60th percentile
I had a slight panic attack when Dr. K said 25th percentile!! I promised him that I was feeding Colby!! :) He just laughed and said it wasn't a big deal. He looked at Travis and said that Colby was going to be long and lean like his daddy.
He checked his ears, and it turns out that Colby has ANOTHER right ear infection (3rd one in the last 6 weeks). Dr. said that it's from the croup settling in, and hopefully this round of antibiotics will get it all cleared up. We'll go back in 2 weeks to make sure.
He said Colby should be getting 12-24oz of milk per day. I told him that C has really slowed down his milk intake since we switched to sippy cups. He said that was ok and we could even do chocolate or strawberry milk if he'd drink that more. (I love how he is so calm about everything and always assures me that everything is ok...I think he can read the 1st time mom panic on my face...I just never know if we're doing what we're supposed to be doing or not :))
He said to start giving Colby some sort of multi-vitamin with iron. He mentioned something about a liquid kind that you can put in their drink, but I bought the Flintstones Complete and Colby is eating them. (thank goodness I read the label, because he only gets 1/2 of a vitamin per day...iron overdose is apparently a common problem with kids)
He recommended that we get a spin toothbrush, some infant toothpaste, and brush Colby's teeth daily for about 15 seconds...especially if we add chocolate milk to his diet. We started that this week, and so far so good.
Speaking of teeth, I mentioned this in an earlier post, but Colby is up to SIXTEEN teeth including the ones just breaking through. Poor thing....I feel like he's been teething for 12 months now! He has a mouthful and loves to show them off. :)
I asked the Dr. about eardrops for swimming. I am a little nervous about those ears since we'll be going to the river for a few days and then the beach for a week. He assured me that Colby will be fine and not to put any kind of alcohol drops in, because they'll strip the earwax, and then there won't be any protection in his little ears.
I think that's it! I was definitely pleased with all of the answers to my questions from this appointment. I'm also relieved that Dr. Kastner will be checking Colby's ears again in a few weeks to be SURE that the infection is completely gone before our vacation. We have a growing, healthy, lean and mean little boy, and we love him sooooooo much!!!

2 comments:

Rachel said...

We LOVE LOVE LOVE Dr. Kastner! He is so calm and reassuring about everything. I always leave his office feeling much better! :o)

Leska Parker said...

I had the same problem with Clara and the sippy cup...I switched her to a straw and she is sucking that milk down! You have to be careful with some of the straw cups, though, because some are too hard to suck and they give up. We're actually just using a regular cup with a regular straw. Not good when she throws it, but at least she's getting her calcium!!! Sounds like he's having a great summer! Have fun!