Tuesday, April 7, 2009

3 1/2 week update

Soooooooo....we're 3 and 1/2 weeks in and we're doing great! It's amazing how much our lives have changed, but definitely for the better. Travis and I have become closer and much more selfless. We're still trying to figure things out and get settled in, but I feel like that is pretty normal with a newborn baby. Every day is a new day and every night is a new night. Last night was actually really good. Travis took a bath with Colby around 9:45, we fed him around 10, he slept from about 10:30-1:30 (wow!), ate again, slept until 5, ate and then slept until 7. I was really hoping he'd make it to 8:00, but we had to get up and moving anyway because I had a meeting at school, so it was ok. Travis has been taking the middle of the night feeding (which is usually around 3am, but last night it was 5am!) which is really nice for me. I have gotten to the point where I can sleep pretty soundly through it, so I'm getting much more sleep than before.
Colby is eating roughly every 3 hours. Sometimes it's more like 2. We're getting the gas pains under control. Don't get me wrong, there is still lots of gas going on, but he is not screaming out in pain anymore. (that was the worst thing ever!!) We switched to Playtex nurser bottles with the drop ins and have been giving him the mylicon gas relief drops after every feeding. (haven't tried the gripe water yet, but I still plan on getting some....I also saw a baby massage pad online that looked interesting...you lay it in your lap and lay the baby down on their tummy on it and it is supposed to relieve their tummies...I may try to find one of those too) Also, we're making sure to swaddle him at night- I think this helps him sleep better. We didn't swaddle him for a few nights- just covered him with a blanket- and I don't think he slept as soundly.
I LOVE being a mommy and being at home with Colby. It has been the most exhausting thing I have ever done, but also the most rewarding. I think I'm finally starting to get used to the modified sleep schedule and the constant feeding, burping, changing and rocking back to sleep that I do all day and all night. I burst into tears the other night while I was watching the CMAs that I had recorded, and the song "you're gonna miss this" was playing as Trace Adkins came up to accept an award. I want to enjoy every second of this stage in our lives- no matter how hard it seems sometimes. Colby has been a true blessing in my life and I love everything about him!!!!
sleeping on a pillow in the middle of the living room floor :)

Buddy loves his brother!!

4 comments:

Mary Helen said...

What a beautiful baby boy! I am so glad to hear that you are doing so well. Hopefully I will get to really "meet" Colby sometime and hold him :) I know Sally is so thankful to have all of your advice since you are just a few months apart on this baby journey!

Heather B. said...

I am so glad that his gas in getting better. Playtex drop-ins are awesome because you can literally squeeze all the air out of them before the feeding! And can we say YAY for sleep! Glad it is getting better for you!!!

Kelly Sessions said...

He is adorable!! I am so happy he is healthy and it seems like y'all are doing well! I found your blog from someone else's I cant remember now, but its cute! Just wanted to say hello!

The Armstrong Family said...

He is just wonderful! I'm so glad his sweet tummy is feeling better and that he is letting you rest a bit more too. That is important. Buddy is such a good big brother, too. I love the size difference. I can't wait to see Colby again soon :)