Sunday, January 18, 2009

Another surprise...courtesy of Travis...

I'm going to attempt to make a long story short...but I feel like I have to start at the beginning...
Last week, I came home from work just in time to take Buddy for a walk before it got too dark. Just as I was putting the leash on him, someone was knocking on my door. I hate answering the door when I am home alone, but I heard something that sounded like a police scanner or something, so I decided I needed to see what the deal was. I opened the door and there was a guy who seemed to be in a rush telling me that he had an 18-wheeler full of furniture from North Carolina that he needed to get rid of at wholesale price. He said something about an order being cancelled and about having a police warrant or something to go door to door trying to sell the furniture. I am a sucker for salesmen!!!! I never want to hurt their feelings, and Travis and I had actually been talking about getting a small rocker recliner for the nursery as well as a nice chair to fill up an empty spot in our living room. He said they had all kinds of chairs in the truck, so I decided to go check it out. When I got down to the truck, there was another man there and I realized that I had to get into the truck with this man to look at the furniture! By myself! Now I was really in a pickle!!! I didn't want the guy to think I was judging him or being rude, but I really didn't think it would be wise to get in the back of an 18-wheeler with a random man I don't know....well, I said a quick prayer and went over my old faithful "do not be afraid, for I am with you" bible verse that I memorized as a kid, and I stepped into the truck. Right in front of me was a perfect, small, rocking recliner, and to the left, several wing-backed chairs that would be perfect for the living room!!!! As shady as the whole situation was, the furniture looked legit. All of the pieces were covered in plastic and had really nice tags on them. The man gave me the prices which were pretty good and I told him that I would have to call my husband (as I jumped out of the truck as fast as I could.) I called Travis 3 times and he did not answer. I just couldn't buy the chairs without talking to him first (it's a Dave Ramsey rule.) I knew that he would not be happy with me...especially with the shadiness of the situation. Luckily, I got to talking to my neighbor, and the furniture truck guys left without bothering me, so I didn't have to get into any awkward conversations with them. Later, I told Trav the whole story, and I figured that would be the end of it.
2 days later, the same truck showed up at Travis' office! It was meant to be. :) Travis surprised me by buying the 2 chairs and putting them right inside of the garage so that they'd be the first thing I saw when I got home. I was shocked and surprised and excited all at the same time! (He had been emailing me all day telling me that there was a surprise waiting for me at home...I would have never guessed that it would be those 2 chairs. Actually, I had convinced myself that he had gotten a new dog! haha...not this time I guess...)



I LOVE the chairs! They're perfect! Thanks Trav. :)

4 comments:

Jenn Pitts said...

What a sweetheart! The chairs are so pretty! I'm glad that those guys didn't carry you away in the truck - I'm always hesitant to answer the door when I'm home alone too...You just never know!

Mary Helen said...

What a fun surprise! Travis is so sweet!

Kim said...

I just caught up on your blog... I've been slacking, but I love all the updates! I love the chairs and this whole story... the furniture was obviously meant to be and Travis is just so full of surprises!! Colby is lucky to have such amazing parents! :)

The Armstrong Family said...

I love this post. This just sounds like you and Travis...and I love that you wouldn't purchase them without him because of DR. You're so good! Can't wait to see them.